If you want a boozy treat this winter, take a look at this trifle from Badger Ales, this trifle serves 8 – 10 and takes around an hour from start to finish.
For the gingerbread:
225g plain flour
125g light muscovado sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
a few good grinds of black pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
120g salted butter
120ml Blandford Fly
160g black treacle
1 large egg, beaten
For the caramel sauce:
100g golden syrup
50g salted butter
100g light muscovado sugar
120ml double cream
2 tbsp syrup from stem ginger jar
For the trifle:
5 ripe bananas, sliced
6 tbsps Blandford Fly
2 knobs of stem ginger, finely chopped
500g pot ready made custard
300ml double cream
100g honey roasted cashew nuts, chopped
1/2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
You can get the majority of these ingredients locally, including the cream, the ale and the eggs.
- For the gingerbread, preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, gas 4.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, black pepper, ginger and cloves together in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with the Blandford Fly and treacle.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until smooth, and fold through the egg.
- Pour into a lined 30cm x 18cm baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean, and cool.
- For the caramel sauce add all the ingredients into a saucepan apart from the cream and ginger syrup, melt over a gentle heat and then simmer for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the cream and syrup and simmer for a further minute, remove and cool.
- To assemble the trifle, turn out the gingerbread and cut in half. Spread a little of the caramel sauce over half of it, then sandwich together with the other half and cut into pieces and use half to line the base of a 3 litre trifle dish.
- Drizzle over 3 tablespoons of Blandford Fly over the gingerbread, top with half of the sliced bananas followed by half of the remaining caramel sauce. Repeat these layers.
- Stir the stem ginger into the custard and spread over the top.
- Whisk the double cream to soft peaks and spoon on top of the trifle.
- To finish sprinkle over the cashews and sugar and refrigerate for an hour before serving.