From Suze Morrison’s latest round of recipes for The Watercress Company for World Vegan Day. Give this vegan pad Thai a try.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
300g Flat Rice Noodles, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
10g Chives, finely chopped
6 Spring Onions, finely chopped
3 Carrots, shaved into ribbons
200g Frozen Edamame, defrosted
2 Courgettes, cut into ribbons
1 tbsp Minced Ginger
2 tsp Minced Garlic
Large Handful Mangetout
2 tsp Smoked Chilli Powder
3 tbsp Tamarind Paste (brands vary in acidity so taste and adjust accordingly)
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
50ml Chilli Oil
2 tbsp Maple Syrup
50g Crushed Toasted Peanuts, Lime & Coriander to serve
- Drain the noodles and rinse thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok over a high heat. Add the spring onions and cook 1-2 minutes or until softened and beginning to crisp.
- Meanwhile mix the tamarind, smoked chilli powder, soy, chilli oil and maple in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the beansprouts, carrots, mangetout, courgettes, ginger, garlic and edamame to the pan and fry, agitating with a spatula constantly.
- Mix in the edamame and move the vegetables to the side of the wok. Pour in the tamarind mixture and cook for 30 seconds before mixing through the cooked noodles.
- Add the chives and watercress and mix through to heat.
- Taste, it should be sweet, sour and firey with a chilli kick.
- Serve straight away garnished with peanuts and coriander and lime wedges to serve.