As the nights start to get darker and the days a bit colder, there is nothing better than a warming casserole. Why not give this sausage and bean version a go? Full of delightful flavours and real Dorset sausages, this is a nutritious and filling option for a great mid-week meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml stock (made up with ½ stock cube)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g sliced greens
One of the great things about this recipe is you can adapt it to suit your tastes and diet, use pork sausages, turkey sausages, vegetarian sausages, whatever you like! Grab your olive oil from Olives et Al and choose sausages from one of these producers and make it a truly Dorset dish. Not only that, but this can even be frozen so you can batch cook it and have it ready for those busy day.
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded nonstick frying pan or flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook for 5 mins, turning frequently, until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pan. Cook over a medium-high heat for 10 mins until softened and lightly golden. Return the sausages to the pan along with the tinned tomatoes, stock and smoked paprika. Season lightly and stir. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 mins until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the beans and greens, then cover and simmer for a further 5 mins until the greens have softened. Spoon into bowls and grind over some black pepper to serve.