Indulgent, sweet and heavenly, this shortbread is a decadent treat and surprisingly easy to make. If you’re looking for something to do one afternoon with the family or just want a sweet treat, this is a great one to try! You can even make this vegan or gluten free by substituting some of the ingredients.
– 225g plain flour
– 75g caster sugar
– 375g unsalted butter
– 379g tin sweetened condensed milk
– 4 tablespoons golden syrup
– 325g plain chocolate
Why not give this a Dorset twist by using some local ingredients?
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C
2. Grease a 20cm square tin and line with greaseproof paper
3. Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl and rub in 175g of butter, to make a ball. Press shortbread mixture into the tin.
4. Prick with a fork before cooking for five minutes, then lower the oven to 150 C and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until pale golden and no longer doughy. Cool in the tin.
5. Melt the remaining 200g of butter in a large glass bowl, then add condensed milk and golden syrup.
6. Whisk the mixture well until the butter is thoroughly incorporated before microwaving for 6-7 minutes until boiling, stirring thoroughly every minute.
7. When the mixture is thick and golden brown in colour, pour over the shortbread and leave to set.
8. Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel mixture and leave to cool.
9. Once set, cut the millionaire’s shortbread into pieces.