Try this vegetarian twist on this classic, hearty family meal – it’s ideal for the family or for socialising!
2 large aubergines
4 garlic cloves
400g chopped tomatoes, tins or fresh
15 lasagne sheets.
For the cheese sauce –
30g plain flour
500ml whole milk
100g cheddar cheese
100g gruyere cheese
120g mozzarella cheese
50g vegetarian parmesan cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 200c/180c fan/Gas Mark 6
- Peel and chop the aubergines, sprinkle them with salt and leave aside for half an hour. Rinse the salt off.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic and finely dice the shallots.
- To create the ragu, melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the vegetables and fry for 20 mins, stirring until cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt, set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce. Put the butter and flour in a pan over a medium heat and stir until it becomes a paste, cook for a further minute to cook out the taste of the flour, stir constantly.
- Slowly begin to add the milk and whisk so it comes together. Add the rest of the milk a little at a time whisking as you pour the milk until you have a smooth sauce.
- Reduce the heat and add most of the cheese and whisk until melted.
- In an oven proof dish, spread a third of the ragu over the bottom. Add three lasagne sheets then a third of the cheese sauce, then another layer of ragu. Repeat until all the sauce and ragu is used up, finish with a layer of grated cheese
- Bake for forty minutes until golden and bubbling